Thursday, May 22, 2008

Yup!


3m is hosting this challenge, which will definitely be a challenge for me. I tend to read more fluff than award winning books and I had no idea there were so many literary awards given each year! This challenge, put simply, is to read 10 award winning books over 10 months. The 10 also need to be spread out over at least 5 different awards. Click on the link above to get the rest of the rules and to sign up!

Here are my picks--(which according to the rules can change at any time!)

The Good Earth-Finished
1938 Pulitzer Prize

Paris Trout-Finished
1988 National Book Awards

The Giant's House-Finished
1996 National Book Awards

The Dollmaker-Finished
1955 National Book Awards

Where the Lilies Bloom-Finished
1970 National Book Awards

Paddy Clark Ha Ha Ha-Finished
1993 Man Booker Prize

A Good Scent From a Strange Mountain: stories-Finished
1993 Pulitzer Prize

The Accidental-Finished
2005 (best first novel) Costa/Whitbread

In The Country of Men-Finished
Europe and South Asia Region of the Commonwealth Writers Prize: Best First Book

Bel Canto
2002 Orange Prize

-
--Or---

The Land of Green Plums (for sure)
1998 IMPAC Dublin Award

--Or--
The Road-Finished
2007 Pulitzer Prize

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kim! The only one I read from your list is The Good Earth. I really enjoyed it and hope you do, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same, mostly fluff, so I'm happy for this challenging challenge (well, I am at the moment, haven't started the books yet...). I'm thinking about about adding The Chili Queen, myself, but have to read more about it. Good luck, I look forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to reading your review of The Accidental, that book really grated on me, but other people seem to really enjoy is

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you'd like to post on the blog, let me know so I can give you an invite. If not that's okay, too, but please notify me so I can give your spot to the next person on the list.

    Happy reading!
    3m.michelle att gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Like everyone else....I so appreciate comments. :)