Sunday, April 22, 2012

Knitting & Crochet Week: color me


Hello Readers!
Today  is the first day of the official Knitting and Crochet Blog Week.
If you go to Google and  type in this code 3KCBWDAY1, all blogs participating in the event will pull up. Every day for this week, I will put up  a post with a new code for that particular day. Genius!  I was so sorry to have to miss the 24 hour read-a-thon this past weekend--being the first I have missed in about 3 years, but I have been looking forward to this event also.

The Monday question of the day is:

 Colour is one of our greatest expressions of ourselves when we choose to knit or crochet, so how do you choose what colours you buy and crochet or knit with. Have a look through your stash and see if there is a predominance of one colour. Do the same with your finished projects - do they match? Do you love a rainbow of bright hues, or more subdued tones. How much attention do you pay to the original colour that a garment is knit in when you see a pattern? Tell readers about your love or confusion over colour.

Well--this question makes me laugh as I was just talking to my daughter in a yarn shop this weekend about how I am almost always drawn to deep colors-especially purple, which is not a color I personally wear very often. I guess I would say that I am drawn to all jewel tones.

I have only been knitting  for about 3 years and the only garments I have made have been for my 2 little red-headed granddaughters and guess what? Jewel tones look great on them too! When I looked at my Ravelry project page I discovered that although I feel like I am drawn to purple all them time, I actually have way more blue items completed than purple.

 
Because I have only been knitting  for 3 years and money always seems to be a bit tight, I really don't have a huge stash,and the stash I do have is mostly of kitchen cottons--and as you can see I do have quite a collection of colors in this department.  When I look at a pattern, I can easily look beyond the color of the original garment, because I love playing with color so much! I have a harder time figuring out what kind of yarn to choose--you know, what weight and type.



 I am looking forward to reading more posts centered around color today!

Until tomorrow.......
*smiles*

4 comments:

  1. I love your stash of cotton yarn, mine looks something the same and the items you knit for your granddaughters are always so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jewel colours is a perfect description! Budget is a big thing for me too and apart from a few yarns I have been gifted most things in my stash are a bit ordinary.

    It's so good to get others take on the same subject.....gets you thinking! Look forward to reading tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fan of jewel-toned colors as well :O)!
    Do you knit mostly dishcloths in that cotton? Have you tried any garments and such?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those yarns look luscious. I love jewel tones too and use them in my quilting. This knitting and crochet blog week is a great idea. I am enjoying reading new (to me) blogs from the event.

    ReplyDelete

Like everyone else....I so appreciate comments. :)