Thursday, March 21, 2013

Book Corner...

I think it is time for some book news here in my little corner...




Heart Like Mine by Amy Hatvany
Pages: 384
Finished: March
Source: NetGalley (release date: March 19, 2013)

From Amazon:
" Thirty-six-year-old Grace McAllister never longed for children. But when she meets Victor Hansen, a handsome, charismatic divorced restaurateur who is father to Max and Ava, Grace decides that, for the right man, she could learn to be an excellent part-time stepmom. After all, the kids live with their mother, Kelli. How hard could it be?
At thirteen, Ava Hansen is mature beyond her years. Since her parents’ divorce, she has been taking care of her emotionally unstable mother and her little brother—she pays the bills, does the laundry, and never complains because she loves her mama more than anyone. And while her father’s new girlfriend is nice enough, Ava still holds out hope that her parents will get back together and that they’ll be a family again. But only days after Victor and Grace get engaged, Kelli dies suddenly under mysterious circumstances—and soon, Grace and Ava discover that there was much more to Kelli’s life than either ever knew.
Narrated by Grace and Ava in the present with flashbacks into Kelli’s troubled past, Heart Like Mine is a poignant, hopeful portrait of womanhood, love, and the challenges and joys of family life"

My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed Hatvany's writing style-- a nice easy going style which still managed to give the characters depth and helped me be drawn into the story quickly.  I really wanted to find out about Kelli's mysterious past and I found myself rooting for Grace and Ava.  Grace found herself thrust into an incredibly difficult situation and her name was perfect for  her as she managed to handle what life threw at her with incredible grace.  I highly recommend this book which has just been released.


post signature

5 comments:

  1. Did you read the book because of the pretty sweater on the cover? That's what caught my eye first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book seems to show that even as an adult, you can always learn something new and grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've this one already marked down on my ever expanding to read list, I like to hear people I know having read it and their thoughts on it. I think it's a book I'm going to enjoy it, now just to get round to it on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be reading this one in April. First time for this author but many of my book friends have loved her works!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your review. I found this book grabbed me from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete

Like everyone else....I so appreciate comments. :)