Saturday, March 23, 2013

Book Corner


Book: I'll Take What She Has by Samantha Wilde
Finished: March
Pages: 416
Source: NetGalley

 From Amazon:
Nora and Annie have been best friends since kindergarten. Nora, a shy English teacher at a quaint New England boarding school, longs to have a baby. Annie, an outspoken stay-at-home mother of two, longs for one day of peace and quiet (not to mention more money and some free time). Despite their very different lives, nothing can come between them—until Cynthia Cypress arrives on campus.

Cynthia has it all: brains, beauty, impeccable style, and a gorgeous husband (who happens to be Nora’s ex). When Cynthia eagerly befriends Nora, Annie’s oldest friendship is tested. Now, each woman must wrestle the green-eyed demon of envy and, in the process, confront imperfect, mixed-up family histories they don’t want to repeat. Amid the hilarious and harried straits of friendship, marriage, and parenthood, the women may discover that the greenest grass is right beneath their feet."

My Thoughts

Early on, I had high hopes for this book. Sadly, they were dashed the further in the book I got.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the guilty pleasure of a fun chic-lit book, and while there were some humorous spots in this book,  it just did not make up for the annoying two main characters. I did not relate to them, nor do I understand this new phenomenon of mommy angst.  Really, I  don't.  I have raised 4 kids, and frankly I did not need to analyze my every move or decision.  Nor did I need to analyze my decision to become a mother in the first place. Way too much energy was wasted on this type of behavior in the book and it ruined it for me. One character is so needy for friendship with the "popular" girl, something that should have been outgrown years earlier. The other character was whiny and angry most of the book--and who has time as a Mom to enter therapy to find their inner child??  
Now, this all being said, I did find Wilde's writing style enjoyable and I always enjoy books which are told through each character's point of view in alternating chapters--and I am very likely to pick up the next book by Samantha Wilde, to give her a second chance!

post signature

5 comments:

  1. I liked your thoughts on this book, I thought some time ago when you told us what you were reading that it possibly wasn't the book for me, now I know its not. I don't think I could be reading about Mom's who analyse their every move and decision and I know I definitely don't have time for therapy, sometimes teenage behaviour should be left in the teenage years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you had to sludge through this unenjoyable book. I don't like whiny characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it is so disappointing when a book starts out good but then goes downhill. Hopefully the next book will be better. Or better yet, you could write a fantastic novel of your own, I for one would read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like you gave it a valiant effort!!! I hate that mama drama too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review. I was looking at this book trying to decide if I wanted to read it. I raised two children and I like you, had no time for therapy.

    ReplyDelete

Like everyone else....I so appreciate comments. :)