Thursday, March 14, 2013

Hello?? Anyone there?

Yes--I am still here, even though you can't tell by the number of posts that haven't been written!
Mercy but the past two weeks have been difficult!

Last week saw me with a relapse of the tummy bug I thought I had conquered the week before.  I struggled through work each day, but not a lot of knitting happened--in fact, no knitting happened. I collapsed on the couch each night after dinner, and lost myself in mindless tv and once in a while a little reading.

Then this past Saturday I received a call from my parents that my beloved, 95 year old Grandmother was not doing well and we should prepare ourselves to say our good-byes.  This little lady was still living independently in her own little apartment, only needing help to get the store and other little errands.   Sunday, I received the call that she had been taken to the hospital by ambulance after passing out, falling, and hitting her head.  The long and short of it is that her little heart is barely beating---I left the hospital tonight, fully expecting to not see her again--her breathing was just so labored.  This is my last grandparent to pass away and it is such a bittersweet thing to know that whole generation of my family will all be gone.....

I do have some yarney goodness to share--it is a fingering weight sock yarn, hand dyed by Myra of Fancy Image Yarns.
I will be using it in a knit a long, several of us Washingtonians are participating in.  We are all fans of her yarn, and all will be riding the yarn train in April, from Seattle to Portland Oregon for a day of yarn shopping in downtown Portland.  We hope to identify ourselves by either wearing the KAL scarf, or by working on the scarf during the train ride!  The pattern we are using is called Kayak Scarf and is a free pattern we received last year on the yarn crawl we did. It is so pretty and lacey!  I think you can purchase the pattern on her website, Fancy Image Yarns.  Seriously you all, her yarn is a delight to knit with and very affordable to boot!

In book news, I have finished a couple which need reviews written up, and I am now reading a young adult novel called, Dented Cans by Heather Walsh. It is a lovely story about family, quirkiness, secrets and loyalty!

That is it from me for now---I hope to be able to visit you all this weekend and get back into my regular blogging/internet routine soon.  My friend and I just discovered a new yarn store, 10 minutes from my house that we are checking out on Saturday.  Currently, we drive 40 minutes by freeway to our favorite Yellow House Yarns---I will be sure to post pictures and a review of it too!

On a side note, I am sorry to say that I am needing to activate my word verification for a little while.  I cannot believe the rise in number of spam comments these past few weeks. I hope to turn it off after a while, so please bear with me.

Until later....

post signature

5 comments:

  1. Kim so sorry that your grandmother is not doing well. It sounds like she had a nice life, but it never seems long enough. Take care and hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry Kim to hear of your grandmother not doing so well. As someone who has one grandparent left and my grandmother to is living alone quite independent and turns 90 this year, much admiration goes to that generation, they are made of tough stuff as we'd say here in Ireland. I hope the tummy bug is gone, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your Grandmother. You are blessed that she has lived so long. Hope you are feeling better and stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fact that your Grandmother was still living in her own little space and doing well. She sounds like an amazing person and you're so blessed to have had her in your life!!! I miss my Grandparents daily!!

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it is a bit disconcerting to realize how a generation is gone. My great aunt is the last Ng left and she's 102 and fun to talk to. I'm sorry your grandmother had such a fall and injury.

    ReplyDelete

Like everyone else....I so appreciate comments. :)